Come and find us!

Thursday 22 January 2015

Evaluation Question 1

Q) In what ways does your media products use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

My media products use and develop the conventions of real media products. They don't challenge the conventions because the pop genre uses very common and obvious aspects for the music videos, digipaks and advertisements. For example, very bright colours and positive vibes to promote a youthful life etc. So to follow these conventions, we used bright colours and the illustration of youth in our music video.


A similar female pop artist also uses bright colours like this in her music videos and ancillary too. She uses it to portray 'fun' and a very 'immature' theme. (Cher Lloyd)

The video that influenced me the most with filming and editing techniques was Ariana Grande - The Way because it was creative, easy to manipulate or play about with and followed the conventions of a pop genre music video. The part that attracted me the most as someone who would also be seen as the typical target audience for this genre was the projection scene. This was used in our music video.





How conventional was my ancillary work? - The digipak

The way Taylor Swift has her long body on the cover shows her female structure and really gives the album the control she needs as the artist. It emphasises that it is her music and she is the main artist here. Most female pop singers have albums with themselves on the album covers because it emphasises independence and female authority.

Nicki Minaj is also the centre of attention on most of her album covers - again, female pop singers do this a lot. I did this for my album cover too. My artist is the main attraction on the album.

How conventional was my ancillary work? - The advertisement


Katy Perry and Rihanna both also have them as the main attraction of their advertisements and I made sure mine was too. The background was of my artist as well and I made sure the conventions of the album cover being in the advertisement was there. i didn't have a release date but I did have the networks where the music would be available. E.g, iTunes and Amazon etc. The conventions were followed very closely and clearly and I kept my digipak and advertisement linked too, using fonts and colours.

Overall, I think the music video is very conventional because it follows the typical pop genre conventions and makes it clear to the audience that it is for young teenage girls. The research and feedback I have got has helped me to fix any mistakes or things that needed improving to make the music video even more conventional. The music video was a huge success and there may be small mistakes, but as a whole, it followed the genre of pop very closely and clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment